Benefits of green tea? I didn’t know there were any? Isn’t it just another type of tea such as the good old Earl Grey, the Ceylon and Oolong tea?
Well, on the one hand it might look as just another trend in tea-land; on the other hand, however, you cannot compare it to the other teas at all!
So, did this make you curious?……..Good!
It also made (professional and self-made) experts curious enough to dedicate a lot of their time and research to green tea.
Everyone wants to contribute to the Green Tea Phenomenon but they all seem to agree that green tea has the following health benefits:
- Reduces risk of epithelial ovarian cancer, breast cancer and prostate cancer: green tea and cancer.
- Reduces risk of cardiovascular disease and heart attacks:
green tea and cholesterol facts, green tea and cholesterol and green tea high blood pressure.
- Prevents high cholesterol levels
- Lowers total cholesterol levels
- Improving good (HDL) to bad (LDL) cholesterol ratio
- Controls high blood pressure.
- Prevents or reduces autoimmune disease: green tea diabetes.
- Helps to lose weight: Chinese diet tea.
- Good oral hygiene, from preventing dental plaque, cavities to bad breath: does green tea stain teeth?
- Slows down the aging process: green tea skin care.
- Prevents acne: green tea and acne.
Also other benefits of green tea have been claimed but some have not been validated by scientific evidence yet or mixed results have occurred so that more research needs to be done. Among these are;
- Calms digestion through preventing or treating inflammatory processes: green tea and metabolism.
- Increases fertility: green tea and fertility.
- Increases mental alertness: caffeine in green tea.
- Stops certain neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s: antioxidants.
- Lowers blood sugar (regulates glucose production): green tea fat burner.
- Prevents or reduces constipation: green tea constipation.
- Prevents or reduces the severity of rheumatoid arthritis
- Prevents or reduces infections
- Prevents glaucoma and other diseases of the eye
- Relieves anxiety
- Prevents against kidney stones.
- Improves bone density
- Decreases symptoms associated with menopause
- Lower prevalence of depressive symptoms: green tea health benefit.
These are all great health benefits but you also need to be aware of the possible (negative) green tea side effects.
ALL natural foods have regenerative and restorative powers. Learn more on “healthy eating guidelines” and health benefits at the Back to Basics Alternative Health website; your best source for quality information on natural foods!