Green tea shampoo? What’s up with THAT?
Well, green tea has proven to be a great and reliable natural ingredient.
It has now also become a healthy and organic alternative to hair care products filled with harmful chemicals. Excessive use of these chemical (styling) hair products may even lead to hair loss.
Yes people, it’s time to FREE YOUR HAIR from the chemicals: try a shampoo with green tea extract.
What makes green tea shampoo so different?
(such as pro-vitamin B or panthenol) in green tea have various positive effects on your hair:
- They deeply and gently CLEAN your hair
- They stimulate HAIR GROWTH
- They STRENGTHEN thinning hair
- They give a GENTLE and TENDER touch to your hair
- They MOISTURIZE your hair
- They give a splendid SHINE and VOLUME to dull hair
- They help STOP split ends from forming
- They PROTECT your hair
They also have positive effects on your scalp:
- They PREVENT infections (seborrhea, dandruff and psoriasis among other things)
- They RELIEVE dryness and itchiness from the scalp
- They CLEAN your scalp
- They NOURISH your scalp
- They STIMULATE blood circulation of your scalp
In 2005 researchers from the Department of Otolaryngology of the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science in Los Angeles, CA made a surprising discovery on green tea and hair loss.
When examining the effects of polyphenols, readily available in green tea, on hair loss among rodents, they found 33% of the mice who received green tea polyphenol extract in their drinking water had significant hair regrowth during six months of treatment whereas no hair growth was observed among the mice in the control group which received regular water.
Well, if you (or your spouse) have hair problems or you’re suffering from (severe) hair loss or even baldness, you should definitely give shampoo wth green tea a try.
After all, it (literally) won’t hurt because natural shampoo does not have any side effects.
Green tea shampoo buying tips
Things to keep in mind when searching for the right green tea shampoo:
1. Make sure you pick the right brand. Most companies combine green tea with harmful chemicals that counteract its benefits. Avoid ammonium, sodium lauryl or laureth sulfates (can strip oils and cause skin irritation), propylene glycol (a petroleum byproduct linked to skin irritation) and parabens (preservatives).
2. Make sure a product actually CONTAINS green tea because it often happens a shampoo only contains green tea fragrance. Then you might smell green tea but there’s no actual sign of it in the shampoo! What you want is green tea extract.
3. Make sure green tea extract is listed first on the label. All ingredients are listed where the ones to be found in the shampoo the most are listed first, followed by the trace ingredients!
Most brands want to join the green tea phenomenon so they also create shampoo with either green tea fragrance or extract. For example, one of the common ones is manufactured by Elizabeth Arden. Brands such as Graham Webb’s or Paul Mitchell, you could better avoid since they contain harmful ingredients.
Better alternatives are Verbena & Green Tea Shampoo from Pharmacopia or one of the most popular ones Aubrey Organics Green Tea Shampoo. Both are plant-based, organic and 100% vegan; they do not contain harsh chemicals or synthetic fragrance, color or fillers.
Directions for use
The directions for use of green tea shampoo are easy. You apply a small amount of shampoo onto your (not soaking) wet hair. Then you massage your hair and scalp for 15 seconds. Leave the shampoo in your hair for a minute. Then rinse it off thoroughly with warm (not too hot, not too cold) water.
So…..Give me one reason why you should not incorporate green tea into your daily hair care routine (by choosing the right – all natural – products of course)!
Can’t think of one?
Neither can I!
As with you hair and scalp, green tea is also great for SKIN CARE! Check out: green tea skin care!
Esfiandiari A, Kelly P. 2005. The Effects of Tea Polyphenolic Compounds on Hair Loss among Rodents. Journal of the National Medical Association 97(8):1165-1169.